Contemporary Patio Home Dollhouse

This house began as another Kidcraft type dollhouse that I bought for really cheap on eBay. It originally had two stories, I think, and was a more interesting configuration than any of the other houses I'd refurbished. I worked and worked with it, trying to get a layout that I liked that would be different from my other remodels, but I couldn't make anything appealing. The hardware in the corners made it difficult to change things too much, and I got really frustrated, which is a bad sign. Rather than throw the whole thing out, I ended up only using about half of the original structure, and after a lot of "winnowing down," I came up with this patio home. Again, I like the open outdoor space, and managed to slip in a colorfully tiled bathroom as well! I ended up really liking this house when I was done, and I treated myself to another PRD Miniatures piece for the bedroom, as well as an Etsy-purchased stroller and crib.
I used edge banding for the wooden siding, and a stone-textured paper for the columns. The inside "carpet" is drawer liner that is thicker and more cushioned. The outside stone for the patio is a sheet of mosaic tile from Lowe's. The roof is self-adhesive cork and the wallpaper is scrapbook paper. For the "fire pit" I found a small wooden bowl at Crate & Barrel, filled it with tiny aquarium rocks and then poured ModPodge over it.




I've discovered that it's more fun for me to build smaller houses because I like the challenge of having to fit kitchens and bathrooms into smaller spaces. I need to find a flat screen tv to put on the wall that the sofa is facing!

The blanket "basket" on the right is a napkin ring, spray painted a dark bronze.


The little table is a napkin ring from Ikea with a poker chip for the top. The crib is an Etsy splurge.

Back view

Bedroom



The glass blocks are glass tiles from Hobby Lobby. They come in a bag of assorted colors, but I only used the clear ones for this shower.



Comments

Popular Posts