Contemporary Modern Dollhouse


This house was one of my very first original designs. I was able to experiment with a variety of tiles, textures, laminates and plexiglass, and it was a lot of fun. I used a faux stone spray paint on all the wooden columns to make them look more like rocks. I kept the floors simple this time, just using a few layers of polyurethane to bring out a rich color. I built this before I had some basic power tools, like a miter saw. Or a power drill. It would have been a much more structurally sound house if I had, and someday I think I'd like to build another one similar to this using better tools. 
I ended up selling it on Ebay - only the second house I've ever sold there. It was so hard to pack up for shipping! 

This house is accessible from all 4 sides, so there's not really a front or back. This shows the kitchen, entryway, and carport, with a bathroom, hallway, and deck upstairs. There are channels along the outsides for some plexiglass panels to fit in, just in case a wall is wanted.
Patio with wading pool and fake grass
Living room and kitchen. I found the tile for the living room wall at Home Depot. It's always fun to find these small scaled tiles at big box stores! Once I grouted it, it was super heavy. 
I used self-adhesive non-skid vinyl for the carport, the material used on stairs so that you don't slip. I also used fake grass. The plexiglass on the right is removable.
Entry way, and view of the under-side of the stairs. The wall is mosaic tiles from Hobby Lobby.
Another view of the tiled living room wall. I used the faux stone spray paint on the stairs, and then topped them with wood treads.

I ended up building most of the kitchen from scratch, using random pieces of furniture and some formica samples. The light fixture is a keychain from Nautica - I liked the colors. The le creuset pot on the stove is a magnet from Sur la Table.



Master Bedroom

This bedroom is super small. It fits a crib, or maybe a desk or twin bed.


















For the glass blocks, I found some small acrylic blocks at Hobby Lobby during the Christmas Season. They are supposed to be blocks of ice, but I think they look great as glass blocks too. And they're so much cheaper than the ones sold by miniature companies!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts